A Warehouse is considered to be one of the largest cost item in a logistics firm. For the same reason the layout of a warehouse designing is a crucial process and has to be done in such a way that it has a direct impact on the efficiency and productivity of the Warehouse. The layout has to be planned in such a way that the processes is in a logical sequence that can help streamline operations, boost productivity, and reduce expenses. A well-executed warehouse layout design can provide easy access to stored goods, minimize travel time, and improve order fulfilment rates.
Principles for Best Warehouse Design and Operation
1. Minimal Touch of Goods- The warehouse should be designed so as to minimise the handling of products. It is better to be automated. It makes the worker easier and faster
2. Space Availability- It is always important to allocate maximum space to storage and inventory processing purposes while minimizing space for office areas, empty pallets, charging stations, can help improve inventory visibility, reduce travel time, and increase overall operational efficiency
3. Flow – Uninterrupted flow of goods, personnel, and equipment is very important factor to be considered in warehouse layout design. Inefficient routes and disruptions has to be avoided.
4. Accessibility – In an automated warehouse, you don’t need to know where the stock is because the crane or the automatic storage and retrieval system will find it. But if the system is operated manually, the correct placement of stock is critical and should be easily accessible. This will help not to get the goods mixed up.
5. Equipment used- The equipment used in warehouse can directly influence the layout of a Warehouse. The machineries should be utilized to increase the productivity and optimal usage.
6. Personnel – According to the number of employees and related factors can help to design the warehouse layout in a way that doesn’t limit the workforce’s productivity.
Selecting the most suitable warehouse layout design is crucial to ensure the optimal utilization of resources. The efficient and effective way to design the layout of a warehouse is to consider all the factors that utilize warehouse space better, boost productivity, and improve order fulfilment rates.